Project Promoter: Hunedoara City Hall
Project duration: 11 months, but no later than 30.04.2016
Grant amount: RON 4,167,340.40, i.e. EUR 937,850.88
The general objective of the project is establishing the “Guilds House” Museum in order to protect, preserve the cultural heritage for future generations and to facilitate public access to it.
The specific objectives of the project refer to:
- – creation, evaluation, protection and enhancement of a numismatic collection identified on the Corvins Castle territory, collection related to four guilds (shoemakers guild, tanners guild, weavers guild and furriers guild);
- – creating the ”Guilds House” Museum, as part of the Corvins Castle cultural heritage;
- – involvement and training of 12 representatives of the Roma community in the development of socio-economic activities;
- – increase tourism attractiveness of Hunedoara county.
The expected after the implementation of the project are:
- – a building rehabilitated;
- – a database of coins which are part of the Corvins Castle numismatic collection created;
- – a collection classified and certified for authenticity;
- – the existing values of this South-East Europe promoted;
- – the touristic area with rich secular traditions related to the existing guilds promoted;
- – a number of 12 Roma ethnic people identified and trained to work in the workshop which will produce souvenirs for the Castles visitors;
- – number of Romanian and foreign tourists increased by 10% on the first year after the project is implemented;
- – interested factors informed about the financial support granted through the EEA Financial Mechanism.
The Corvin Castle Museum, located in the city of Hunedoara, Romania, has an activity of 40 years. Originally it operated as a department of the Deva Museum of Dacian and Roman Civilization, and starting with the year 1990 it has been under the administration of Hunedoara City Council. The museum is housed by one of the most beautiful medieval castles in Central and Southeastern Europe and has a mobile heritage that currently amounts to approx. 10,000 pieces that are divided into several collections.
The activity of the curators of the Corvin Castle led to the identification of multiple highly valuable objects, specific to guilds – voluntary associations of craftsmen belonging to a trade, the guilds emerged in the Middle Ages, remaining until the end of the nineteenth century. In the Hunedoara area, existent guilds were: shoemakers guild, tanners guild, weavers guild and furriers guild. The Corvin Castle curators have identified in the castle all these specific items. These objects, dating back hundreds of years, need to be protected and preserved for future generations. It is also of paramount importance to facilitate public access to cultural and natural heritage by establishing the Corvin Castle Museum “Guilds House”.
The “Guilds House” Museum seeks to increase the use of exhibition space and the attractiveness of the “Corvin Castle” museum and not only, also aiming at the application and implementation of the most modern and current paradigms in the field of museology.
The proposed project envisages to make the paradigm shift, the shift from the traditional way of museum exhibition exposure to the interactive one, in order to exploit at its fullest the generous exhibition space in the Corvin Castle.
The implementation of this project is based on identification of the needs of entities or groups upon which the results obtained by the applicant have a positive effect.
- – the Corvin Castle Museum, as a non-profit public cultural institution
- – the City Hall of Hunedoara, as the owner of the Corvin Castle historic monument and promoter of the project, involved in identifying ongoing funding for the protection of the local cultural heritage
- – The local community, including the Roma community, which will benefit from integration in socio-economic life and jobs
- – the economic and social environment of local and national communities that will benefit from increased tourist traffic
- – the Romanian and foreign tourists, due to the fact that the project contributes to the conservation of cultural and natural heritage for future generations, increasing the accessibility of the public to material and immaterial values
The Main Objective of the project is establishing the “Guilds House” Corvin Castle Museum in order to protect, preserve the cultural heritage for future generations and to facilitate public access to it.
The Specific Objectives are the creation, evaluation, protection and enhancement of numismatic collection identified in the Corvin Castle territory; the involvement and training of 12 representatives of the Roma community in the development of socio- economic activities and the increase in tourism to the city of Hunedoara.
Indicators / Results
- – 90 movable cultural heritage objects restored / preserved
- – 1 museum and cultural space created
- – 1 strategic, planning and integrated management document created
- – 12 trained Roma minority representatives